Saturday, October 3, 2015

Controlling the Clatter


With all my recently found recipes on Pinterest, I was sure I needed a new set of pots and pans.  I had been in a funk and this would surely lift my spirits. I made my way to the cookware and stood in the middle of the aisle.  By all outward appearances, I must've looked like any other shopper.  Inside, however, a war had been waged for days in my psyche between God's truths and Satan's lies.

"Oh no! Not again," I thought.  I had come to this store to escape those voices of deceit so why were they following me? As I looked around, I hoped I hadn't said what I thought out loud.  God knows I already felt half crazy but for someone else to think I was might do damage to my self esteem.  Not to mention, it would ruin my day should some friendly men in white coats come in to take me away. 

I made my way to the car and sat there as I went over the lies that were clinging and clanging together and had threatened to overpower what I knew was true:

"This isn't going to work."
"Your not good enough."
"She's Godlier than you."

Why is it that we, as Christians who know God's word, constantly fight to believe it? Because, the mind is the battlefield. The enemy will attack in every weak area to take our eyes off Jesus and stop any good work we do for Him. That's why it is so important to always be on guard, stand firm and control the clatter that sooner or later will crash in our head.

So, what do we do when those ideations invade our intellect? We think about what is honorable, pure and praiseworthy. (Phillipians 4:8) We renew our minds by storing up God's word in our hearts. (Ps. 119:11) We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)

Later that night, I wondered why I had gone to a store to try and cheer myself up? So, I did what I should've done and knew to do all along. I took some time to be still with God and study His word.  I recollected all the prayers He'd answered and marveled at how gracious and loving He is that He loves me, this doubting, undeserved sinner. Wouldn't you know, the next morning, I awoke with a peace, joy and contentment that no pot, no matter how shiny can offer.  And, I heard Him say:

"It will work because I have willed it"
"You are enough because you are mine"
"You are Godly because as you seek me, I will make you more like me"

Dear Lord,
Thank you for being a patient father who fights for me.  You are everything that is true and right.  I'm sorry when I doubt you and do everything but turn to you. Help me to stand strong against the enemy's tactics by hiding your word in my heart and taking every thought captive. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment