Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sleep Interrupted



The clock read 3:09 a.m. Oh no, I’ll never go back to sleep I thought, as I felt the velvety touch of my three year old’s hand rubbing my arm. Without much sleep the night before, I was exhausted.

She began softly singing as her body flailed from one side to another. As much as I liked having her lay beside me, I knew no rest would be had.

So, I picked her up and carried her to her big girl bed. She quickly nestled in under her safe, warm blankets as I told her to go back to sleep. My feet felt like they were 500 lbs as I lifted one foot in front of the other, fumbling my way back to my own room.

My head hit the pillow and bing! My eyes were wide open. And so began my racing thoughts, tossing and turning and staring at the clock.

Then, I heard God say: “Go back to sleep”. And so for the next two glorious hours, I slept so soundly, I don’t think I moved.

Many night have been broken up in segments by the sound of my daughter’s tiny trampling feet or cries from my son after a bad dream.

For us parents, if our child calls out for us, we are there to rescue them at the speed of light. If they are wandering through the night, we are there to scoop them up and carry them to their safe haven.

As we go about our own lives, troubles come. We try to remedy our own problems with things of this world. Oftentimes, we will take our cares to The Father as a last resort. We’ve gotten it backwards and yet this pattern continues.

What should we do when our sleep is interrupted by more than just a child’s cry? When worry takes the place of worship? When problems over shadow praise? When fear replaces our focus on Him?

Psalm 18:6 says: In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.

The Lord does the same for us, as we do for our own children. He is there to pick us up when we fall. To carry our burdens. To bring us back to a place of safety. All we have to do is say His name. He hears us.

Father in Heaven, you are worthy of every praise. You are my protector and provider. My father and friend. Without you, I am nothing. With you, I am everything you said I would be. Redeemed. Set free. Worthy. Thanks be to you for who you are. Thank you for just by saying your name demons tremble. Thank you that when I call, you answer. In Jesus’ precious name, Amen.

Reflect
What weighs on you so heavily it causes your sleep to be interrupted?

What steps can you take in relinquishing your anxieties to God and leaving them at the cross?

No comments:

Post a Comment